The main objective, whether of a person or a company, when sending SMS is to capture the attention of the recipient (and, many times, also achieve an action). Achieving this goal is not easy and we must use all the available tools within the little space we have available. In this article, we want to present you the keys to gaining characters in your SMS copy and thus transmit your message in the most efficient way possible.
What kind of text messages are there?
In total, there are 4 SMS options, along with an additional variant:
- Standard SMS is simple and traditional messages. These have a capacity of 160 characters, which respond to the GSM alphabet.
- Unicode SMS allows the use of all types of characters, such as symbols, accents, emoticons, etc. However, your limit is reduced to 70 characters maximum.
- Certified SMS provide legal validity, as they are verified by an external entity. Through a document, the sending of the message is certified, along with its content. These SMS can be used in administrative or legal processes.
- Concatenated SMS allows sending messages greater than the maximum number of characters. It is possible to combine them with Standard or Certified (exceeding 160 characters), or Unicode (exceeding 70 characters). This option combines the segments, allowing the recipient to see a single, simple message.
- In addition, Verified SMS provides an extra service, validated by Google. With recipient authentication, the user receives a message with the sender’s badge, name, and logo, along with a preview. If the device does not support this mode, you will receive a Standard SMS.
SMS prices according to the type of messages
SMS types may have different costs. For example, concatenates are charged for each segment sent. For more information, you can visit the costs section in LabsMobile.
As we mentioned before, one of the main challenges with SMS campaigns is capturing the attention of the public even with few characters available. Mainly in those promotional communications that are intended to increase sales.
Therefore, one of the most effective variants is Unicode SMS, since you can gain characters in your SMS copy. Let’s see how.
Why use Unicode SMS?
Having fewer characters forces the message to be more direct and explosive, improving the effectiveness of the campaign. However, abbreviating traditional 160-character messages can be difficult.
Exploiting the space to the maximum is essential, also knowing that symbols, emoticons, and other types of characters can be used.
One of the techniques is to avoid concepts that are added tacitly. Some certain words or concepts do not need to be written in their entirety, but rather visually, the user can identify them with international symbols that practically 100% of users know. Some examples are discounts, dates, codes, or links.
Examples of improvement for Copies SMS
Let’s see some examples of how to replace and improve the message:
- This Easter, treat yourself to a getaway with Viajeliza. Follow the link to find the best deals.”
- This Easter, treat yourself to a getaway with Viajeliza. The best deals here.
- This Easter, treat yourself to a getaway with Viajeliza (directly add the link).
- Cut the cost of your business thanks to our fully-equipped offices. Internet, secretary, and office material included.
- Save on your business thanks to our fully-equipped offices. Internet, secretary, and office supplies included
- Save thanks to our equipped offices. Internet secretary and office supplies included
- Hi Pedro, you have time to get your IPad case with a 30% discount with the code: 1110. We are waiting for you at linktienda.com
- Hello Pedro, you have time to get your IPad case with -30% / linktienda.com. Code: 1100, we are waiting for you.
- Hello Pedro, you have time to get your IPad case with -30% / linktienda.com with 1100, we are waiting for you
- You deserve a gift! We want to thank you for continuing with us by giving you a discount voucher: FAITHFUL CUSTOMER. Redeem it here!
- You deserve a gift! We want to thank you with a discount voucher: FAITHFUL CUSTOMER. Redeem it here!
- You deserve a gift! We want to thank you with a bonus: FAITHFUL CUSTOMER. Redeem it here!
Earn characters in your SMS copy
Unicode SMS is a great option for commercial campaigns. Although they have a limit of 70 characters, they allow a more direct message, capturing the attention of customers. In addition, they have greater freedom, with the use of symbols, emoticons, and other characters. This allows for a much more versatile message that can be easily adjusted to the profile of the receiving target.
As you can see, SMS is a tool with a certain limitation in terms of space, but its uses and potential are infinite if we discover the tricks that best suit our communication strategy. At LabsMobile we give you the keys so you can send all kinds of messages with maximum comfort and ease!